Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saycats

Noob thinking of grafting an old japanese maple

Saycats
11 years ago

I recently lost a childhood pet, and had a nice idea to propagate a new plant from our big old Japanese Maple she used to love sitting under as a memorial. I am new to grafting and wanted to test the waters on whether this would prove to be a frustrating endeavor - from my research on the subject the process seems straightforward and largely up to just getting one of the graftings to take. I had thought to go find a seedling maple at the local nursery and keep it as a temporary memorial plant until winter to graft from our tree, which is when I'm told is the best time to graft (or could I do it even now?). The maple is very old - was big when we moved here 16 years ago, not sure of the exact cultivar but it is red with feathery leaves and the branches fall low, between 4-5 feet tall.

I assume the idea is not to let the seedling/rootstock get too big before you graft it, but I'd love to have a tree to care for in the meantime before I graft - if I got a seedling now, would it be too long to wait until winter to graft? Or could I graft it now? I've read that late summer is also an option, unless my sources are just completely incorrect. Any advice on increasing the chances of success much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

If you've not grafted, you better get a dozen seedlings. They should already be potted. And the easiest time to graft is the last week of July - the second week of August.

When you get the seedlings, cut off the lower branches on the bottom 1/3 so they'll be ready, you should order them now. Then at the end of July, put a camping tent in your garage (no light necessary) and you're going to keep your grafts inside the closed camping tent for 14-21 days.

When you cut your scions from the host tree, you'll want them to be about pencil thickness or less. Next, remove all the leaves from the scion only, not from the potted seedling. When you remove the leaves, you want to keep the petioles on (a petiole is what holds a leaf to the stem). Graft them.

Be sure the potted seedling understocks are on the dry side (not dry, just not real wet). If you graft on soaked seedlings that will cause the sap to run and your grafts will not be successful. You'll know if the graft(s) take if the petioles fall off and a bud pushed up from underneath. That bud will not be visible prior to grafting, however is very visible, if the graft is successful.

Lastly, do not water the seedling understocks/rootstocks very much for 10-14 days. You want to give them only enough water so they stay alive. After 14 days you can water them as much as you would like to.

The grafts, after they are removed from the camping tent go to light shade. Keep the understock on (the portion of your seedling above the attached/healed/scion until such a time the following spring after the scion you grafted to the seedling grows a full set of leaves, then cut off the seedling, above the scion so the only thing now growing is the scion you grafted.

The camping tent provides the humidity needed...
    Your scion(s) should have at least 3 sets of buds...

Dax

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Keep the garage door(s) open on any and all days where the temps are really going to heat up the garage, such as anytime you think the temps will reach 85 F. Always caution to the safe side.

Dax

• Saycats
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Dax for such a helpful post! I'm gonna give this a go :)