Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog Induced Trauma to my JM

Posted by eengmd 7, VA (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 08 at 13:18

I was wondering if anybody could give me a prgonosis for my Tamukeyama JM. It is about 4 feet tall with a loose spread approximately 6 feet wide. It is not full. I transplanted in early spring from a lcoal nursery. I saw the tree last year and it did great at the nursery. I planted it one month ago out of an 18 inch diameter pot.

I am designing a Japanese landscape in my backyard and just had several massive boulders placed and I moved several potted plants to their final location thus exposing the base of my JM. My dog dug a foot deep hole exposing half of the roots. Some of the fine roots have no doubt been damaged . I immediately covered it back with the soil and replaced the mulch. The non-damaged roots were likely exposed for less than one hour. I also watered immediately. The leaves are just now becoming full.

Assuming 25% of the fine roots have been damaged on one side, when can I expect to see the damage done? When will I know it has survived this trauma? I also have protected the tree with some boulders so this will not happen again. Are there any additives or lack of additives I sould do to give it the best possible chance for survival?

Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog Induced Trauma to my JM

You shouldn't have a problem with it. You caught it in time. You migjht want to lay chicken wire around it so the dog doesn't dig any more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

I planted my maples with 3 large rocks of different sizes around each one with 2 bamboo poles in the spaces as well. It seems to deter the dogs for the most part. The rocks actually look similiar to the japanese style of 3 rock clusters. I will post a picture this weekend hopefully.

o

Your maple should be fine, although you might lose a few branches if the roots were damaged. Maples are amazingly resilient. Think about all of the bonsai growers who regularly rootprune their trees. Just make sure your maple is well-mulched and watered during dry spells. And, of course, find a way to keep the dogs away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here