Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmboy1_gw

Bloodgood Japanese Maple Die-Off

farmboy1
10 years ago

I inherited the above tree when I bought my house 3.5 years ago, so I'm not sure of it's age or history.

It has primary northern and eastern exposure, with shelter from the harsh western sun and winds.

The first spring, a large section had died off, so I cut that section off. An existing branch grew into a central leader in the past couple of years.

This spring, a large part of the newly grown leader didn't leaf out after budding. There have been some new shoots of growth near the center.

The soil is mulched, and did receive extra watering last year as well.

The question now is whether I continue to prune off the dead sections and hope it grows reliably, or I replace it with something else that is a bit more hardy.

Comments welcome on how to maintain the tree and prevent die-off, or another ornamental to replace it with.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, your tree is likely doomed. Japanese maples are prone to a number of fungal pathogens that develop into root rots and significant branch dieback is typically an indicator of that. Often this shows up as a failure to leaf out in spring but can also happen with a very rapid decline in the middle of the growing season. Death may not be immediate but it is progressive and typically inevitable.

Depending on the exact problem, it is not prudent to replant with another maple. The Bloodgood was also far too close to the house. You could replace with something like a dogwood or any sort of dwarf or slow growing conifer but pay close attention to spacing - no closer than half the mature canopy spread.

• farmboy1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gardengal!

I've heard from some people (though not on this board) that Japanese maples can be, ah, difficult.

I'll try to find info on possible replacements on other forums, 20 feet away is a Viburnum Acerifolium and a Red Buckeye (thanks to this lively group).

vince

This post was edited by farmboy1 on Wed, May 29, 13 at 15:15

• chicago5b
    9 years ago

My bloodgood had a sudden dieoff of about 60% last year sometime in September-- all of the leaves on certain trunks/branches turned brown and shrivelled seemingly from one day to the next. I'm waiting for it to bud out now but anticipating that those branches will need to be cut off. Willing to give it another chance... I am actually encouraged by the OPs comment that the tree recovered to some extent after the original dieoff. I'm thinking I may have made a mistake by putting mulch around the base last year, which I've never done before. Looking for advice on whether I need to patch the places I cut the branches off, and with what?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sudden die-off to that extent is not a very promising sign. Rapid die-off at that time of season is usually an indication of Verticillium wilt, a typically fatal vascular disease.

All you can do at this time is wait and see what happens. Any viable branches remaining should leaf out but will often wilt and die off rapidly. Sometimes the tree will linger on for awhile but almost always this disease is fatal to maples. And if you pruned correctly, you apply nothing to cut areas.

btw, the mulch should not have produced any ill effects, provided you did not pile it too deep or too close (as in touching) the trunk. Mulching is generally considered a very beneficial gardening practice.

• chicago5b
    9 years ago

Glad to see notifications are automatic, and glad to see you're still willing to share your knowledge Ms. 48. Sounds like we're on the same page. I researched via web search last night and learned that you want to trim just beyond the branch collar, and any sort of preparations that one might cover the exposed flesh with are considered a scam.
    When I discovered the sudden shrivel, I immediately pulled the mulch back away from the base of the tree (as if somehow that could magically un-die the dead parts)-- so yes, it had migrated all the way up to the base. So no treatment for that disease whatsoever?
    Here's a pic of my poor tree not long after the dieoff event.

• chicago5b
    9 years ago

What's the magic secret to posting a photo here?

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

I notice you're in zone 5. With the past two winters we've had, it may be weakened by the extreme cold. If you're concerned about a fungal pathogen, you could have a branch tested. When you cut off branches, are there black spots or streaks inside the branch?

What are you thinking of replacing it with? Zone 5 has so many small tree options... pagoda dogwood, northern redbud, serviceberry.... I love JMs, but there are certainly very attractive alternatives!

• chicago5b
    9 years ago

magpie, thanks so much for looking out for my emotional adjustment and trying to prepare me for the removal of the tree :-) I poked around a garden center on my way home from work earlier and started looking at small trees. Today there is budding on something between half and 2/3 of the tree. I'm guessing it's in pretty much the same state it was in immediately after the event in September, but I want to give it at least another week before stating to cut on it. Was trying to imagine how it will look after the dead parts are cut off but I'm not quite enough of a Jap Maple genius to keep it all in my head. A good chunk of what would be considered the 'main' body of the tree appears dead. Regardless of how strange it looks after the trim. I think it doubtful I'll be giving up on it unless there's another dieoff event. Still, would appreciate suggestions for small trees which primarily add interest.

• chicago5b
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK, pics working now apparently-- the above is the tree last spring, and here is after the dieoff (maybe the day I discovered it.)

• chicago5b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A little follow-up-- waited until it was very clear what was dead and what was alive in the springtime, and trimmed away the dead 40% or so, which included the 'main' trunk. It's still passable but looks a bit too "managed" for my taste.

• chicago5b
    8 years ago

• chicago5b
    7 years ago

Update July 2016- still no further die-offs-- I frequently pull the mulch back from around the base of the trunk so it can stay as dry as possible.

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    7 years ago

Wow... looking good. Any gut feeling on what caused the die off?

I'm glad your tree made it!

• chicago5b
    7 years ago

Thanks! Was hoping you were still out there. Considering I never put mulch down until just before the die-off, I think having the base of the tree damp contributed to a fungal infection. Now I watch it like a hawk. It is turning into a spectacularly large Bloodgood.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm