Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clancy87_gw

something wrong with my Beni maiko

clancy87
9 years ago

It's my most favourite acer out my collection which has always gave of great colour and structure which I done through wiring. I dont know if as im new to wiring and shaping I may have damaged the tree or if it's wind damage or something else. The leaves on some limbs look like they are browning and shriveling up.

Comments (7)

• clancy87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Browning at the hottom

• clancy87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Browning/wind damage at apex

• clancy87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mid section

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'm sorry.
    I cannot see what's browning in the photos.
    Are the wires tight? They don't look like it.
    Do you really need them on such a young tree?

This is also one of my favorites. I'm hoping someone will jump in for you.

• clancy87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry my cameras not too great. The third photos probably the best example, all the leafs on the tree are like an ultra violet pink, then like the ones ive took pictures of seem to be going dark and the points of the leaves are starting to turn as if its not getting enough nutrition. I know i shouldn't be wiring this young but too many limbs were rubbing against each other and i hate the thought of pruning it and loosing color and growth. I checked where i have wired also and theirs no signs of swelling or abrasions

• clancy87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update. Just been out to check on it and it seems to have spread to the whole tree ???????????

• houzi
    9 years ago

Hi Clancy,wind can certainly severly damage foliage on young maples when leafing out.I grow many from start and every year the spring winds come and ruin a lot of them.Often they are weakened from the stresses of winter(temperature,wetness etc.)and many don't have the stamina to withstand this defoliation.As they get older it become less of a problem and dissappears.This year for the first time in 3years,the winds didn't come,but we had lovely warm sunshine instead.However the little maples were not bothered by this,they can withstand our sun in UK as long as it's not too windy.Rebounding wind off the house seems to cause even more harm,and obviously sun will add to the problem.
    Firstly I'd say don't panic and start throwing water at them,this will only make things worse.It's a common mistake to do this when seeing shrivelled dried up leaves.The damage is done now and nothing will mend the leaves.Check to see that the soil is damp and only water if really necessary and don't fertilise.Looking at your set up it wouldn't be too much a job to stick a few canes in each corner and peg some plastic bin liners or something to provide wind shielding.With a bit of luck with shelter this plant will leaf out again eventually,but sometimes it can take a long time.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions