Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogluvr_gw

Japanese Maple suggestions, container and dwarf/semidwarf

dogluvr
13 years ago

Hi,

I have a 12' Bloodgood that is much too large for the space that is in. We are pruning it alot. It currently gets brief morning sun and shade the rest of the day. Is it too large to transplant? If not, what is the best time to do this? If it can be transplanted, it will be in a full sun location. Will it thrive with that much sun? Or maybe it should just be cut down and stump pulled up... Previous owners planted it about 5 years and it's taking over the spot.

In its place I'd like to put in another JM growing to no more than 6-8' upright shape or not too bushy as there are bushes on two sides and my house corner on the other two sides. As mentioned above this site gets brief morning sun and shade the rest of the day. Any color leaf is fine, but not interested in dissectum, lacy types.

Lastly is there a dwarf container JM recommendation that will get no larger than 3-4' and 4' wide and can take full sun 6-8 hrs. daily. Not interested in lacy types here either.

I'm a beginner with JM's and hardy recommendations would probably work best for me:)

Thank you!

Comments (2)