Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bouldercove

young winter flame pruning

bouldercove
13 years ago

I bought this specimen about 3 or 4 years ago. We planted it in our yard & it is growing sloooowly as expected. It's a beautiful baby with infant leaves that change colors & come & go with the seasons as naturally should. However, I noticed today (I don't know why I didnt realize it much sooner, perhaps because I was just concerned with it growing it's root system?) the bottom of the tree has suckers coming out so that it looks more like a bush right now. Is that normal? Should I be pruning ? Right now it's about 2 - 21/2 feet tall I think it was a 1 gallon plant about a foot tall when I got it. I can't remember the name of the place off hand but I know it was strictly a maple tree place on line. It came very small but healthy. I'm not sure if I was supposed to be working on it's shaping or not. Please advise. Its still a young thing but beautiful red in winter.

now for the &.. I also have a container maple that I misplaced the label for & have forgotten it's name. It's about 4 years old & it's winter leaves or mature leaves are a dark burgundy red. Spring leaves or new growth are green with red liner along the tips. This tree is now a bush & grows wild! I just had to prune the long branches that came out about 4 feet or so from the main plant. We put up a gazebo on our patio & it needed to be pruned. I know early May wasn't the right time but it was getting out of hand. We can't move the half barrel it's in because over a year ago the roots grew through to the ground, we're happy with it's position thankfully. It lives through all kinds of wind & weather & it also is a beauty. I vaguely remember when I got it that it said I could either let it bush like it has or let it tree. Any suggestions? I just bought jobes tree spikes for out newly (1 year planted) Thornless hawthorne which made it very well through this past winter here on Long Island. Should I use them on my maples?

I appreciate any help I can get from any experts out there.

Thanks,

Kathy

Comments (4)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

About the sucker growth coming up from the base of your winter flame: If it is from below the graft line then the leaves should not match the leaves of the rest of the plant. Those are from the root stock and will eventually take over. They should be pruned to the ground if you want to keep owning a winter flame.

For the maple in the pot: ASSUMING Its outgrowing the pot, come fall or so I'd be tempted to cut the roots growing into the ground and try transplanting it into the ground. I'm not a fan of fall Japanese Maple transplants in zone 6 or colder but pots make me nervous also. Their soil gets COLD over the winter. Then again if it survived last winter in the pot outside why suspect different.

• bouldercove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It all looks the same. I don't think it's coming from the graft & at a cloer look I see a nice thick single trunk developing.
    Any suggestions? We're new at this. I'll submit a picture

Yhanks,
    Kathy

• bouldercove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I posted a picture under photo gallery same name as this post

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

I'm prone to letting my trees grow more "wild" than most. Part personal taste, part not wanting to fight the nature of the tree.

I bet most folks would trip off the lowest set of branches. Use sharp clean pruners if you do. Make it a two cut experience, the first cut out an inch or so from the trunk, the second closer after the weight of the branch has been removed. This eliminates the chance of a falling branch tearing.

Whatever you do go conservative and don't trim off more than 1/5 of the foliage in a year.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living