Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloodgood Jamanese Maple

Posted by pamacs TX (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 14:27

I got a this maple tree for mother's day that we planted in the garden.Yesterday the tree still looked okay, but today all the leafs are crumpled looks dry. Recently we had over an inch rain some water was sitting around the tree. Could that be a cause for the dried leafs? Is my tree died out? Can I do something to save the tree at this point? We have a one year guarantee for the tree. Should I return it?
Thank you for your help and answers.
Best regards

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloodgood Jamanese Maple

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 20, 09 at 22:47

Japanese maples must have excellent drainage. Perhaps that is your problem.

o

It's my understanding that they needs lots of H20 & especially in the summer months - for new plantings. I planted one last spring (May) that was ~ 3 ft tall, gave it ample H20, but not everyday. It still got some of the 'summer burn' that the gardner who sold it to me told me abt. But it did pretty good last summer. The leaves fell off in fall & it was bare in the winter. I live in NC. This past March, it came back w/ beautiful leaves. Then I, the non-green thumb having person I am, sprayed Ortho. Weed-B-Gone Max around the tree for weeds in the vicinity - that's when the leaves on the bottom became crumpled - the rest of the leaves looked fine. It was suggested that I give the tree plenty of H20 to wash the 'poison' away from the roots - I did that. The tree has survived & I just pulled off the crumpled leaves on the bottom.

I would say to give the tree plenty of H2O & pull any crumpled leaves off it they're bothering you.

o

Thank you for all your help. I have replanted the tree in a big pot with some mulch on top, has direct sun and shade as well, and I am giving plenty of H20 as of now hoping that I will see a sign of life on the tree shortly. I also hope that I did not further damage the tree with the replanting process. I would rather raise the tree back to health then to return it.

o

I recently planted a Bloodgood and I am experiencing the same issues with some leaves turning brown/drying out. We have had a bunch of rain as well. I'm going to leave it in the ground and see what happens... I'll keep you posted:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here