Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple and sun

Posted by jimh6278 7a???? (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 14:43

My problem is I have what is probably a 30+ YO Japanese Maple that has lived its life under a large elm tree. In Salt Lake. The tree has been subjected to morning and afternoon sun but the Elm shades it from noon sun. The Japanese Maple has smaller, but not fine, solid green leaves with 5 fingers. The roots are always shaded and the tree has a sprinkler head devoted to it. Plenty of water.

I need to get the Elm out of the yard. It is in the way of a very nice 8 YO Red Maple. Unfortunately, it will be a few years before the Red Maple can top the Japanese Maple and provide relief from the mid-day sun. So my question:

How much risk am I running of losing the Japanese Maple when I remove the Elm and are there any steps I can take to mitigate the risk.

Thanks, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple and sun

Sounds like you have an acer palmatum. If the elm has to go i would start by doing it this fall after all leaves have dropped. Instead of removing its umbrella right before summer. I wouldnt think you would loose a 30 yr. old tree that can handle sun anyway,especially if the roots are not disturbed.There might be some leaf stressing the first year or two. IMHO...AL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here