Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetman_gw

sunset maples eaten by something

thetman
12 years ago

I'm usually browsing the conifer forum- but last year I bought some nice 6-ft sunset maples. they budded on time this year and were looking real good- but you know how it goes you go to work everyday and get busy and then 2 weeks go by. Its been unusually cold and rainy this spring so I thought the trees were a bit behind from sprouting leaves because of it. today I noticed that the leaves (or whats left of them) all seem to be chewed or eaten and also on some of the bloodgood I've had for a few years. I'm thinking winter moths? If so is that it for the season- will they grow new leaves this year-worse will it kill the trees? thinking of spraying some bayer on them- but it seems it might be too late- not much left to eat on them. any suggestions or help appreciated.

Thetman

Comments (8)

• gardener_guy
    12 years ago

Your tree will set out new leaves. I know that is true but the tree will be weaker so I suggest you purchase a systemic pest control for your tree. With a systemic you mix in water and water the tree. The tree will uptake the chemical and make the tree undesirable for the pest.

I myself had to take off about 70% off an old Japanese Red Maple due to pest problems. I then added a systemic. The tree had scale, aphids, and some leaf-eating caterpillars. Once I pruned off all dead material and gave the tree a wash and added a systemic, the tree is now realy happy and recovering very nicely.

Good luck with your maples and I wish you the best.

Gardener Guy

P.S. Make sure you do not fertilize it this year as the tree is very weak due to the leaf loss. Fertilizer will have the tree grow new branches and make the tree weaker. What you want is new leaves not branches at this time.

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

I had slugs eating the leaves of a small acer. Put a stop to that tout suite. Don't know if that was your problem. Ever vigilant.

• thetman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gardener guy-do you mean something like the bayer for trees when you say systemic? Is there a particular brand you recommend-and when should I apply it? thanks again

• gardener_guy
    12 years ago

Bonide is a great one I know of. Safari does make a good systemic also. The brand Bayer I am not familiar with. But apon searching I do believe they also make a systemic.

Make sure that the product has the word "systemic" on the front lable. That is the main type of product that your tree needs. I would not recomend bayer because it is an all-purpose product and notspecifically made as a systemic. When labled as a systemic it will also tell you the type of pest or pests it will target. If you read the lable you will be fine.

Good luck.

Gardener Guy

• oakiris
    12 years ago

I would think you would want to find out exactly what was eating your tree leaves and then use something targeted specifically to that particular pest, but I am just speaking as someone who doesn't use pesticides. I prefer to use a good spray of water from hoses to get rid of aphids, spider mites, etc. Anyway, identifying what the pest is should be the first thing you do, IMHO, rather than using chemical controls willy-nilly in hopes that it will take care of whatever it is!

You don't say where you live; thus far (knock on wood) the winter moth isn't wide spread through the USA, but mostly in parts of New England and the PNW; are you in an effected state?

If you do indeed have winter moths in your area, this site recommends some organic methods of control: Strategies for Identifying and Controlling Winter Moth Personnaly, I think these methods are better for you, better for the tree and better for the environment, but as I stated, I avoid the use of pesticides!

Holly

• thetman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes I am in SE Mass-so I am definitely in an infected state. Infact its very widespread. at my work all of the maples have been affected-too bad they are (were) great looking trees. driving around town and stuff you can see I am not alone on this. I have some very larger wooded trees that never came back this year, I think they are goners- probably been there for decades. Thanks for the links I will check them out. i amnot a big fan of pesticides on the lawn- but if I am forced to use them on my trees I will to save the trees- too much money & time invested

• oakiris
    12 years ago

thetman - very sorry to hear about your trees and those of many others in your area. Another introduced pest that is devastating our landscapes and forests....

I hope you are able to save your trees and I completely understand your willingness to use the systemic pesticide in an attempt to save them.

Perhaps you can check with a trusted local nursery or your county extension agency to find out what they have found to be a successful control of the winter moth.

Holly

• thetman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes i plan on going down to my local nursery who I do quite a bitof business with-I did end up though using some bayer tree & shrub on them this morning-I know its chemicals- but the damage was pretty bad and looking to prevent more in the future. It happened so fast around here-caught off guard for sure.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor