o
Looking for a JM that can handle FL heat and sun

Posted by jerry22m z9FL (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 16:47

Red Emperor has been suggested do you agree or is there a better choice. Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a JM that can handle FL heat and sun

Try shantung maple or Trident maple. you'd have easier time growing them in full sun. Generally, green JM can handle some sun the best but that's with afternoon protection from sun....

o

I bought a Tamukeyama after doing a lot of reading. They are said to be one of the most sun tolerant Japanese maples.

o

Still, they generally need protection from harsh afternoon sun. I've yet to see one in full sun around here and it gets very hot here. I doubt that it can thrive in Florida in full sun. Again, Shantung maple and trident maple is your best bet for full sun. There are some dwarf Trident maples that you can get. It may be years before you even see dwarf shantung maple in the trade if you're looking for one. I was given one and so far, it hasn't grown at all. I've seen 2-3 feet shantung maples after 8 years when they should be 15-25 feet tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing maples

o

Thanks for the info and link. Jerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here