Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Maple Dropping Seeds - Little New Leafs

Posted by drock55 Colorado (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 17:01

I live in Centennial, Co (Denver Area)the Silver Maple in my front yard is dropping an enormous amount of seeds as of the last 5 days, and although there is new grow it is kind of sparse. I spoke to a local nursery they told me that so long as there is not apparent truck damage, that the drip line is moist, and that there is new grow, there is not too much to worry about - I'd like a second opinion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Maple Dropping Seeds - Little New Leafs

Normal.....some years the seed load is very heavy, initially at the expense of foliage.
It can be a sign that the tree is stressed for some reason, especially if the foliage doesn't fill in nicely later. Depending on the size of the tree, there can be very little you can do to alleviate the stress.

Your local nursery was correct.

o

I've noticed that here in Minneapolis. Many of the neighborhood silver maples are a bit sparse and just loaded with seeds. We've had several years of very hot and dry summers. Perhaps that is affecting them.

o

Seeing the same thing with our silver maple in our front yard. Nursery guy said it was stressed (tough summer and winter). We've got galls already too (ugh!). Nursery guy said all we could do to help was to water it. I've been a little stingy with the irrigation this year so it looks like it'll be getting a good soaking over the next weeks. Hope yours gets better as well, good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here