Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Large JM

Posted by becky_rose NCa (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 17:08

What is the largest Japanese Maple. I saw one at a local college campus that is about 30 years old, growing up through an atrium, and it's about 40 feet tall.

25 feet seems to be the top size I see listed in descriptions. Does anyone know of any that get large?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Large JM

There's a Bloodgood 'looking' JM outside where I work that is about 30 feet wide and probably 35 feet tall. The top of the tree comes to the bottoom of the 3rd story window of my building. I don't know for sure what it is, but all its features point towards Bloodgood. It's definitely on the large side of the biggest size estimates.

o

The straight species Acer palmatum has the ability to get to a pretty large size - 30' trees are not that uncommon in this area and they can get larger - but it takes considerable time to reach those types of proportions. Trees growing in a somewhat restricted area, like an atrium that is enclosed on 3 or more sides, will often produce a growth habit that is determined more by the circumstance than by nature, growing taller with reduced width.

And keep in mind that mature sizes listed in resources represent a typical average - depending on situation, care and longevity, trees can and often do grow taller than the 'maximum' heights listed.

o

Vertrees book has some of the Acer japonicum maples growing to pretty large sizes like 'Vitifolium'. Not sure about some of the other ones under the species japonicum. Vertrees is a great reference and has a listing/table in the back that has the size for all at maturity.
Justin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here