Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sherwood Flame - is it?

Posted by dewy22 CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 17:21

Hi. I have a few questions about my recent Japanese Maple tree purchase. Can someone verify that this is a real Sherwood Flame? The picture of Sherwood Flame I found online doesn't look like my JM.

From Sherwood Flame

Here is a few pictures of the leaves:

From Sherwood Flame

From Sherwood Flame

Some of the leaves have white holes on them. Any ideas why this is happening? I went to a local nursery and they said it was caused by bugs. I don't recall seeing any bugs on it.

From Sherwood Flame

From Sherwood Flame

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sherwood Flame - is it?

Why do you think it is NOT 'Sherwood Flame'? The foliage looks exactly as it should and the overall form of the tree appears to be that of SF as well.

The leaf spotting is enviromental and is often seen on red leaf JM's in spring, especially in the PNW. Newly emerging foliage gets easily damaged by transport and by weather. It will grow out of it and is of no concern. No bugs :-)

o

Thanks Gardengal48. Well, on http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org, I posted a few pics of my SF on their gallery page, but people said mine isn't a SF. I guess it doesn't matter to me if it is SF or not. I just want to know what JM specimen I am growing.

o

• Posted by marcindy z5b, Indianapolis, I (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 21:51

No, I don't think this is a SF. The leaves on your tree are not serrated enough for a SF. They also are not divided all the way to a point. I don't think this a SF. Compare the leaves to Bloodgood, Fireglow, Oshi Beni, Emperor I or any of the other popular red-leaved varieties at a nursery. I think you will find a lot of similarities there.

o

Foliage close-up of 'Sherwood Flame' - you decide :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here