Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alley_cat_gw

May Spring Photos

alley_cat_gw_7b
11 years ago

Heres a little guy i plugged in last fall. A P 'Rhode Island Red'. Very compacted bushy growth,natural shape and slow grower.

From above

Comments (13)

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice, that's a perfect little maple you have there, Al.

Thanks for posting pictures. It would be nice if more people posted pictures of maples here. I was planning on doing so myself...then I got hit with a late frost last weekend. Not too much damage and I think they'll be fine, but they're certainly not photo-worthy right now. Maybe next year.

BTW, what's the large pine on the right side?

Alex

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey thanks Alex...heres the side pine, pinus leucodermis 'Compact Gem'.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Ok Alex you made me feel guilty. :) You are right though. I enjoy everyone's photos and am trying to do some this year. I don't have the best camera, but here is one from me today.
    Cher

Acer p. Fireglow

• nicholerh
    11 years ago

My Inaba Shidare waking up. I really like this tree.

Aoba Jo waking up a month ago

I know this is more of a 'chicken' pic but it's the only pic I have of Aoba Jo more leafed out. Need to fix that.

Pixie

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Fantastic folks!

Al, those are stunning specimens of 'Compact Gem' and 'Rhode Island Red'.

I'll have quite a few to share once I plant them in the next couple weeks.

• houzi
    11 years ago

Lovely photos guys and such bright colours.Well although officially we're in drought conditions now,April has been the wettest on record.I'd like to share pics but it just hasn't stopped raining and no sun.Most maples are not in their correct positions yet and are being sheltered in a corner hence the rubbish photos.There are more on the photobucket site which I will be updating as soon as poss.
    Beni Komachi (clonal)
    {{gwi:1040658}}
    Ukigomo in camouflage mode
    {{gwi:1040659}}
    Spring has definately arrived on Shaina Ha
    {{gwi:1040660}}

• houzi
    11 years ago

Ariadne
    {{gwi:1040661}}
    Shin Deshojo
    {{gwi:1040662}}
    Shishigashira
    {{gwi:1040663}}

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry, Cher, I didn't mean to make anyone feel guilty, but I'm glad it got you to share a photo. Your garden is lovely, and it looks like your Fireglow is doing great.

Well I scoured the landscape for a shot worth posting and I did find one.

And from closer:

-Alex

• Cher
    11 years ago

Great photos Alex. I already remarked over in Conifers about it. And that was not anything about you but my own feelings, but I don't have the best photos, but hey everyone gets the drift. You have the best combos, Conifers and Japanese Maples.
    Cher

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Real nice photos everyone. Its so enjoyable to see the cultivars in actual garden settings.They all look so nice.
    Hey Houzi, Is that 'Bihou' next to your 'Shin Deshojo'?

• houzi
    11 years ago

Well spotted Alleycat,it is indeed Bi hou still sporting it's winter yellow bark.This will however fade thru the year 'til next autumn.If you're lucky the bark turns yellow at fall giving you a completely yellow tree.I'd say it's very vigorous when young,I staked a new graft to 4ft in it's first year(that's a lot for my area)I'm trialling this style but I don't think a tall stem will suit this cultivar.....it's very upright,seems quite reluctant to produce horizontal branches which may not appeal to everyone.
    In your pic of the lovely 'Rhode Island Red' what are you covering the ground with? looks nice and very effective at controlling weeds...or are you very meticulous with your weeding?

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ive seen some 'Bihou' that looked like the bark was neon! Very standout ish. Id give that tree all the time it wants to fill out.
    Im pretty lucky with the weeds, its just fine shredded black mulch. I pack it down with a steel rake when applying, kind of makes a shell and stays put better during a hard rain.....at least for me anyway.....AL

• houzi
    11 years ago

Yes I'm leaving the tree in the pic alone.I've got a few more to play with,one I'm staking and I'll prune another for multi branching much like we do for the coloured cornus plants....it's fun to experiment.
    Interesting....I had to look up black mulch.We do not use it here,all we have is natural bark mulches in a few different sizes or plastic sheet mulch.