Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead Red Maple-why?

Posted by Psychee NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 18:07

I have two red maple trees in my front yard. Both were planted at the same time as transplanted NJ saplings when I was a child 50 years ago. They have lived side by side all that time, experiencing the same elements and the same care. Last fall, they looked exactly the same and both seemed healthy.

One of them survived the last frosty winter (as expected) and is quickly filling out with new leaves.

But the other one is devoid of leaves and I very much fear that it is dead.

Why? Why would one tree die and the other live? I see no evidence of trauma or disease, but I am no expert. What could cause this? Is age a factor at all? Do maple trees die of old age?

And might it mean that I will soon lose the other one?

Having grown up with these trees, it is much like losing a brother...

Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead Red Maple-why?

There is not always a visible reason. Perhaps the dead tree had some wound to its root system no one ever saw. Then when the winter was cold it had xx% less energy available to overcome.

I insist trees of various species do have an average life span. Someone shows you a Sequoia that is 300 years old and no one is impressed. Someone finds a 300 year old Cercis canadensis L. (Eastern Redbud) and they just might make the newspaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here