Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz321_gw

Maple Seedlings Everywhere!

Liz321
9 years ago

The maple (either red or sugar) in front of my house had a disease last year and the stress caused a major seed overload. This spring, I have thousands of tiny maple seedlings sprouting in every spot anything can take root. They are through-out the lawn, gardens - Everywhere.

I try to remain as chemical free as possible and was going to start hand weeding this weekend, but I want to make sure that this will do the job! If I pull these little buggers out by hand, will that be the end of it or do I need to do something more?

Planning using corn gluten in the lawn - does that kill maple seedlings?

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

The corn meal needs to be applied before the maple seeds germinate. It may get any slow starters but the rest will need to be removed manually. And yes, that should take care of the issue, at least for this season.

FWIW, our native big leaf maples are prodigious seed producers and this procedure is an annual occurrence around here. There are literally thousands of baby maple seedlings under any larger tree (or within the prevailing wind flow) every spring.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Now is a good time to clean out your gutters of maple seeds.
    Mike

• Liz321
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! It has always been an annual thing with the maple seedlings, but this year there has been an exponential explosion! Gutter cleaning is a great idea, now that you mention it. :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville