Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydneyj29

How to know if tree is really in decline

sydneyj29
9 years ago

Let me start off by saying I'm a novice and learning about my trees in shrubs in our yard, especially ones we didn't plant. With that said, I don't have a picture but can take one, but just a general question in identifying decline. I've read the descriptions but I have what I think is a maple from the leaves (although the bark is very rough) and the canopy has always had long branches with only leaves on the end. They are full but the branches extend without many offshoots until the end. Now the canopy looks full and the leaves look full but I've noticed about 7 branches all over not just on top that are dead. It did get some good branches blown off from a nasty storm 3 years ago but that's not anywhere in the location of the dead branches I see. Should I be concerned? Are they just dead branches that happen? Apologizes for sounding like an airhead but just curious if anyone can assure me its healthy or if I should take any steps. I should note this tree goes about 3-4 floors high as it towers over our two story but it's always been in the 7 years I've known it to be relatively skinny in comparison to other maples in the neighborhood.