Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Full or partial sun?

Posted by norwood1081 9aSEAz (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 19:45

I received a Japanese Red Maple plant (Acer palmatum atro purpurea) as a gift. I repotted it at 13" high and healthy. I read somewhere that they prefer partial shade. I live near Tucson Az. and the only shade, partial or not, is in the house. I have it by a south window but it only gets about an hour of sun a day. Is it possible to leave it outside in the hot desert sun for short periods of time and if so for about how long? I'd like to see the leaf color change with the season's if possible. Obviously I'm a newbie when it comes to this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Full or partial sun?

Why don't you try bonsai? There should be classes around, ask at a garden center. I know it gets hot in AZ so I am afraid you will fry the maple if you put out of doors for any length of time, but if you do make sure it is watered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

Thanks for the info and the link. You gave me something to think about. It's too fragile to go outside in the sun and the wind. It's doing just fine in a southern exposure window.

o

Can you build a shade-screen for it?

Josh

o

Probably not. The winds out here get pretty strong and the trunk is only .5mm in diameter. Less than 1/4"! I wanted to try it outside to see the leaves change, but it seems to enjoy the 1 hour sun it gets this time of year. In the fall the sun will be lower and the exposure longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here