Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaitain4

Exposure for Japanese Maples

kaitain4
16 years ago

I live in the middle South (Tennessee) and have started a small JM collection as of late. Right now most of my trees are small grafts in pots, but I need to start planning their permanent homes. I realize some cultivars need more sun than others, and that a few take mostly shade or they'll burn up. I also realize you have to take into consideration the overall climate, heat, humidity, etc. when deciding how to site. We get quite a few 90-100 degree days in July/Sept, with mind-melting humidity added on top. So, I'm soliciting advice from those of you who have experience as to how much sun these trees will require or the best exposure for them given my circumstances. Thanks in advance!!

Here's the list:

A.S. 'Autumn Moon'

A.P. 'Tsuma gaki'

A.P. 'Koto no ito'

A.P. 'Wou nishiki'

A.P. 'Shindeshojo'

A.P. 'Akita yatsubusa'

A.P. 'Beni ubi gohan'

A.P. 'Komichi hime'

A.P. 'Elmwood'

A.P. 'Beni tsukasa'

A.P. 'Katsura'

A.P. 'Tsukushigata'

A.P. 'Orange Dream'

A.P. 'Hogyoku'

A.P. 'Shigitatsu sawa'

A.P. 'Beni Shichihenge'

I've already sited:

A.P.D. 'Crimson Quenn' - 6 hours of afternoon sun. (8 yrs)

A.P. 'Bloodgood' - 6 hours of afternoon sun (11 yrs)

A.P. 'Sangu Kaku' - 5 hours fo afternoon sun (5 years)

A.P.D. 'Virdigris' - 3 hours of morning sun (new)

A.P. 'Glowing Embers' - 4 -5 hours afternoon sun (new)

A.P. 'Osakazui' - 6 hours of morning/midday sun (new)

A.P. 'Kasagi yama' - 4 hours of early afternoon sun (new)

A.P. 'Aocha nishiki' - 5 hours mid-late afternoon sun (new)

A.P. 'Shaina' - 5 hours afternoon sun (new)

All these trees get dappled sunlight other parts of the day from huge oaks, tulip poplars, and hickories pruned high.

K4

Comments (5)

• dawgie
    16 years ago

Based on my experience in North Carolina, which has comparable weather to TN, here's what I've found with my varieties with regard to sun:

-- Crimson Queen, can take lots of sun
    -- Viridis, morning sun OK, not afternoon
    -- Garnet, lots of sun and needs it to stay red
    -- Beni ubi gohan, lots of sun
    -- Beni otake, lots of sun
    -- Shaina, lots of sun
    -- Shindeshogo, lots of sun
    -- Seiryu, lots of sun
    -- Koto no ito, morning sun OK, shade in afternoon
    -- Kamagata, lots of sun
    -- Mikawa yatsubusa, lots of sun
    -- Bloodgood, lots of sun
    -- Villa taranto, lots of sun
    -- Autumn Moon, morning sun OK, shade in afternoon
    -- Acontifolium, lots of sun
    -- Red Dragon, lots of sun

I don't have any maples in full sun, all day long. The red ones seem to take sun better than green ones, but they all seem to benefit from some shade in afternoon. Some of the reds will green up much more and quicker with shade. I don't have any that seem to mind morning sun.

• kaitain4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dawgie!

You're right, TN and NC are very close in climate, and probably equal in humidity (yikes!). That's really helpful to have someone with experience give that feedback!

I have to share a couple of pix of my latest "Puppy Tree" - A.p. 'Shigitatsu sawa'. I LOVE the reticulated leaves on this one. Just awesome! They say this one needs a lot of shade... {{gwi:1040962}}Puppy Trees

Regards,

K4

• dawgie
    16 years ago

Most plants love humidity, including JMs! Not too crazy about it myself tho.

• dawgie
    16 years ago

Your Shigitatsu sawa reminds me of the Tiger Rose I picked up this spring. Mine is a first year graft so there's not much to see yet, but the leaves are very similar. The new growth on Tiger Rose is supposed is supposed to be pinkish but I've been keeping mine in near total shade since it's a new graft, so the color hasn't been apparent yet.

• picea
    16 years ago

Hi K4,

All japanese maple will grow very well in light shade. The amount of sun will effect the color of the leaf and to some extent how dense the plant is. As a general rule of thumb the red leaf japanese maples need more sun to keep there color and the variegated one should be protected from direct sun during the hottest part of the day to protect against leaf burn.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022