Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ID'ing this tree

Posted by Littlejoe919 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 19:52

Was sold to me thru EBay as a Red Dragon Maple. I think not.
I really like it. It's grafted and the leafs have red edges with green veins.

Thank you for your help ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ID'ing this tree

Here's a better picture of the leafs.

o

You may be right. Red Dragon has a reputation for holding its color in both sun or shade better that just about any other red lace leaf maple.

But....this is a perfectly reasonable little tree with good form and the beginnings of a nice growth habit. With some time and sunlight exposure the foliage should intensify in color. Unfortunately, unless purchasing online from a known and reputable (not necessarily Ebay) maple vendor, you are at serious risk for mislabeling or even outright plant fraud. Even experts have difficulty differentiating between many of the JM cultivars as differences can be extremely subtle. Yours could be any of a dozen different red leafed dissectums.

o

Thanks Gardengal,
If you look in the bottom right hand corner of the first picture, there is a Red Dragon maple. The one I'm asking about isn't even close. Again, I am happy with the tree and have a nice sunny spot picked out for it next spring. I am looking forward to watching it's development!

o

orangeola comes to mind...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here