Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsuty17

Newly planted japanese maple leaves wilting and changing colors

gsuty17
11 years ago

I bought and planted a "Bloodgood" Japanese Maple this Saturday (5/5/12) and it has been going downhill ever since. When we brought it home, it was it's appearance was excellent. Now it's leaves are wilting, drying up, and turning colors.

We live in Redmond, Oregon. Our altitude is 3,000ft, and this past week we've had lows into the mid 20's and highs in the 70's. We planted the tree in a hole equal in depth to the root ball and 2-3 times the root ball width. The ground in which is resides is quite hard, however I replaced the dirt I excavated for the tree with good loamy soil. We give the tree one gallon of water per day mixed with B1, and then water it approximately two more gallons daily.

I've done a fair amount of research looking for Japanese Maples with similar symptoms and most say it's a result of over/under watering (with no indication of which is is), or a fungus. Nobody typically suggests measurable quantities of water, so I don't know if I'm going hog wild or not. I don't suspect it's a fungus, only because it was fine at the store. Also, it was exposed to direct sunlight all day long in the HD parking lot, so the sunlight isn't suspect in my opinion. Also, none (or extremely few) post photos. I hope I've given sufficient information. Please let me know what the experts suggest.

Thanks!

Grant

{{gwi:1041018}}

{{gwi:1041019}}

{{gwi:1041020}}

{{gwi:1041021}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals