Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beni shichi henge (not reversion?)

Posted by thyme2dig NH 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 20:38

Here is a pic of a branch of the above japanese maple cultivar. It's tough to get a good pic of the branch because they are so tight. On 2 branches on the tree (which is only about 3' tall) there are large green leaves coming out and then further to the branch tip the "normal" leaves come back. More curious than anything. I'm assuming there is nothing I should do. There are only a few large green leaves on the tree. Anyone have an explanation for this? Thanks for any info.

width=700

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beni shichi henge (not reversion?)

It's not uncommon for some variegated J. maples to produce some solid green foliage, especially on new growth. The variegation tends to be focused on second year wood. And younger, juvenile trees tend to produce this type of growth more easily than older, more mature trees. If it's not too heavy, you can prune it out if you wish - we often do that at the nursery on young trees - but it is not a requirement :-) The tree should produce normal looking variegated foliage in is place next year.

o
RE: Beni shichi henge (not reversion?)

Thanks Gardengal. Is it normal for a branch to have both types of leaves on the same branch? That kind of threw me off a little when I saw the small variegated leaves and then a few large solid green leaves then back to the "normal" leaves at the branch tips. This tree is about 5 yrs old but is growing very slowly up here in NH. I'm surprised it has even been surviving year after year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here