Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my Autumn Blaze maple?

Posted by idloveamocha 5IL (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 20:49

Hi,
This is the bark/trunk of an autumn blaze maple that we planted 3-4 years ago.
It is leafing out ok this year. Last year we did have a horrific drought...I deep watered at least once a week. This year we are over 13" ahead on rain for the year.

The bark is doing some splitting, and the split areas feel a tad soft...but it still feels like the bark is adhered to the rest of the trunk ,except maybe 1/4" inch or so on either sides of the cracks.

My bigger concern is the pic of the lower trunk crack. I apologize for the pic quality...but the bark at that crack seems softer and looks yellowish to dark brown. I can only post one pic somehow, so I'll add this second pic in another post.

This is the southwest side of the tree. Cracks do not occur on other sides.

Is this sunscald? Or, is it something worse?

I am paranoid because my neighbor just lost a maple this spring. Its bark peeled off completely and the entire trunk was cracked (roughly same tree size as us, different variety of maple).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my Autumn Blaze maple?

Looks like someone bashed it.

o
RE: What is wrong with my Autumn Blaze maple?

It's a little tough to see, but I had some similar damage on a red maple cultivar last year. Turns out it was a borer that had penetrated the bark the previous year. It got smushy and then eventually I could peel the outer layer off. The tree did not grow much last year, but it did wall off a good portion of the damage by the end of the season. Maybe you'll have similar success. Just make sure it stays watered. I did not do any extra fertilization.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here