Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple Still in Trouble

Posted by emmi331 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 21:13

I have a relatively young Japanese Maple in my front yard (about 8-10 feet tall). During the freeze about 6 weeks ago, it lost all of its new leaves. Much to my relief, they began coming back with the warmer weather, but lately most of the new leaves appear withered and/or chewed, many of them when they're barely out and still tiny. This has not happened before. What could this be? Can it be fixed? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple Still in Trouble

Your answer most likely lies in the condition of the bark at and below the leafing area ..I'd bet if you look it is damaged probabaly at least on one side with maybe some black or grey areas ...if AT ANY point on the trunk the black or grey encircles the whole trunk it is toast ultimatly abovee that point same goes for individual branches at least everything above that area and whatever is still alive will follow what the rest has done in short order ...otherwise you may have a really small tree ( genereic left only if it was grafted and the only untouched part is below the graft or some of a specific cultivatr just above the graft) or if it isn't grafted some at bottom may live... If you like "little trees" keep it if not tourch it... I could be wrong but I doubt it... been there done that with several from freeze ..David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here