Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjskjs_gw

weird Palmatifolium color

kjskjs
14 years ago

I have a new (year 2) palmatifolium that is developing colors that don't seem to match what I've read about this cultivar. It leafed out light yellow/green and stayed that way for a while and then started to show a slight red tinge around the edges (all normal so far).

But now the leaves are predominately reddish in tone with blends of yellow and green. I was expecting light green tones all summer. It is quite beautiful but not what I expected. I just hope it's not exhibiting "fall" colors while in the midst of dying. It appears very healthy (no wilting or dying leaves). The tree gets mostly full sun and seems to be quite happy except for the weird colors.

Thanks for any ideas.

KJS

Comments (3)

• herman_neutics
    14 years ago

KJ

Are you describing Acer shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium'? I'd like to see a pic. This plant is one of my favorites. I have a good size speciment that I got from Mountain Maples years ago.

The colors you describe sound like A. s. 'Autumn Moon'

Here is a link that might be useful: ubc palmatifolium

• kjskjs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm quite certain its an A. Shirasawanum "Palmatifolium". It looks just like the pictures in "Vertrees". I got it from Eastwood's nursery in Virginia. It has more deeply divided leaves than "Autumn Moon". I will get a pic out in the next day or two. Yes I am really starting to like the trees in the Shirasawanum family as well. Thanks for the help.
    KJS

• herman_neutics
    14 years ago

KJ,

I just started growing an 'Autumn Moon' I had not noticed how very different the leaves are.

I put off getting AM because it seemed like a trendy selection and was always pricey. I finally got one in exchange for an 'Shigitatsu sawa', 'Autumn Moon' is a very charming tree, it lives up to the hype.

'Palmatifolium' though has been a favorite tree for a while. I grow 'Red Dawn', 'Johin' both great plants as is 'Junihitoe'. The shirasawanums group has a variety, of handsome, sturdy growers

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Autumn Moon'