Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weird Palmatifolium color

Posted by kjskjs 6 VA (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 21:15

I have a new (year 2) palmatifolium that is developing colors that don't seem to match what I've read about this cultivar. It leafed out light yellow/green and stayed that way for a while and then started to show a slight red tinge around the edges (all normal so far).

But now the leaves are predominately reddish in tone with blends of yellow and green. I was expecting light green tones all summer. It is quite beautiful but not what I expected. I just hope it's not exhibiting "fall" colors while in the midst of dying. It appears very healthy (no wilting or dying leaves). The tree gets mostly full sun and seems to be quite happy except for the weird colors.

Thanks for any ideas.
KJS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weird Palmatifolium color

KJ

Are you describing Acer shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium'? I'd like to see a pic. This plant is one of my favorites. I have a good size speciment that I got from Mountain Maples years ago.

The colors you describe sound like A. s. 'Autumn Moon'

Here is a link that might be useful: ubc palmatifolium

o

Yes, I'm quite certain its an A. Shirasawanum "Palmatifolium". It looks just like the pictures in "Vertrees". I got it from Eastwood's nursery in Virginia. It has more deeply divided leaves than "Autumn Moon". I will get a pic out in the next day or two. Yes I am really starting to like the trees in the Shirasawanum family as well. Thanks for the help.
KJS

o

KJ,

I just started growing an 'Autumn Moon' I had not noticed how very different the leaves are.

I put off getting AM because it seemed like a trendy selection and was always pricey. I finally got one in exchange for an 'Shigitatsu sawa', 'Autumn Moon' is a very charming tree, it lives up to the hype.

'Palmatifolium' though has been a favorite tree for a while. I grow 'Red Dawn', 'Johin' both great plants as is 'Junihitoe'. The shirasawanums group has a variety, of handsome, sturdy growers

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Autumn Moon'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here