Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting red maples

Posted by skob123 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 21:44

Is it possible to transplant red maples that are probably 10 years old and 40 feet high? We are building a house on 5 acres that has zero trees! We planted these maples at our current house and they are beautiful! Would like to take them with us if it can be done since they would provide some much needed shade. If it is possible does anyone know ballpark what the cost would be? Thank you .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting red maples

Transplanting trees of that size requires professionals with a tree spade. And a very large flat bed truck. A very expensive proposition - several thousand dollars at the very least. And you run a very real risk of the trees not taking well to the transplant and dying after all that work and expense. Larger, more mature trees are very difficult to establish compared to smaller, younger ones.

Red maples grow quickly. It would be far better to purchase new ones for you new home. And consider expanding your tree selection to include other and more ornamental species.........you certainly have the room :-))

o

Thank you gardengal . I would hate to go to that expense and not have them take. Do you have any suggestions for the ornamental trees? I appreciate your input . Thank you.

o

Golly - the selection is endless :-)) My best suggestion, not knowing where you are located, is to visit any arboreta or public gardens in your area and see what you like. There are wonderful native trees you could include as well a host of cultivated selections. You can pick for size, flowering attributes, fall foliage color, bark effect - with 5 acres available, you could create quite the park!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here