Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krdpm_gw

whcih fireglow japanese maple to purchase

krdpm
11 years ago

After a lot of research I decided that a fireglow would be a good choice for the area we have in mind. Today at Lowe's they had 2 big ones, at least 6' with very thick trunks, for $97. Too good to pass up, as this fits in the budget. I get that they're not going to be the perfect specimen a nursery would offer, but it's affordable and worth the risk. Not sure what the size of the pot is. They seem to be in burlap balls, then put in the pot with dirt. They look like they may have been there awhile, as one side is decidely "squished" looking, with no horizontal growth and some leaves tending towards green.

My dilemma is deciding which is the best between the 2. I went back with my husband and we bought one, but I'm having second thoughts and seriously considering exchanging it. (Needless to say, he isn't thrilled)

Tree #1 Very cool branching as the trunk comes up. At maybe 10" one huge branch splits off (kind of v-ing off), then the remaining big branch splits a little after that. Really nice, looks like what I think of as a classic JM. As I said, all of these main trunks are very thick. But after that, as you go up, the thing is a dense mess!! There are a lot of areas where you can see that main branches were cut, and then crazy growth and branches going in all directions. Not just dense, but messy. Looks like it was hacked up. Okay color.

Tree #2 Straight trunk with a very slight curve near the base, then branching starts maybe a foot and a half off the ground, with small horizontal branches coming off the sides. This one also looks like it had a few branches cut, but the overall shape is really pretty and the branching looks like a mini version of a pretty tree. There are no areas at all where it's a mess or has craziness going on. Leaves seem to be a prettier color, but not a huge difference.

Which would you buy if you had to choose?

I love the bottom trunk area on the first one so much. It's exactly what I was picturing, but then the rest is such a mess and I have a hard time envisioning it improving.

As for the second one, I'm worried that with out that cool v-ing in the trunk it'll never have the look I'm after, although I guess the problem is that I'm not sure what that look is! I'm hoping for a really pretty tree with interesting branching and color, a contrast to all the swamp and sugar maples (also lots of hickories and evergreens)surrounding our house. I don't want a tree that ends up looking like a little sugar maple, just red!

Do you all think tree#1 with the cool trunk sounds like eventually the rest of the tree could improve and match the prettiness of the trunk branching? It really is awful now, with different sized branches going everywhere, no balance to anything.

Do you think tree#2 could end up the better choice, with its perfect branching and form right from the get-go, but the super boring trunk? Or would I be crazy to go with a boring single trunk on a fireglow?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or opinions. I know pictures would help, but it's too dark out now..

Thank you!!!

Comments (4)

• houzi
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well I guess it all comes down to personal taste so you may get different opinions.There are many reasons why a single trunk is preferable to a multi trunk tree,for the health of the tree.However if you really don't like that look you'll never be happy with it.Personally I've not been attracted to Fireglow as it seems to be a bit more shrubby than some of the 'big reds',but if someone's made the effort to grow it into a single trunk,that's the one I'd go for.Could be worth posting some pics to get more feedback.

• rmac78
    11 years ago

No tree will look good the first year planted especially bought from a box store. It will take 2 solid years for the tree to take shape, so do not worry about a 'flat' side or squished. Also, the leaves turn green when it is getting too much sun, not a big deal. Horizontal growth will also come with time so not a big concern now. The main concern is the trunk and the main leaders. I think more of a multi stem trunk or 'V' is fine as long as it is a tight V as it will be stronger in the long run than a wide V. 10" is a little low in my opinion. I like the idea of an 18" stem a little better. Here are a couple of pics of my Fireglow that starts to V at about that 18" mark. This tree has taken about 2.5 years to start looking decent-Ryan

• krdpm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies!

The tree that we bought was the single trunk one, but I kept obsessing about the other one. It was really driving my husband crazy, as returning one and getting the other is a huge, big, messy deal.
    I actually ended up going back to Lowe's to look at the other one again, and on second look I was finally sure that we went with the right one. The info from you guys really helped. Houzi, it was so good to just hear some confirmation that the single trunk has some positives. And rmac78, thanks so much for posting the great photos. Your tree looks perfect there. Really pretty.
    Another factor is that it's in the side yard in an area where a tree tending to be a little more narrow will be fine--we don't need a ton of low width there.

The final deciding factor is that my neighbor just gave us 4 small Japanese maple seedlings from his trees that he's been nurturing, each about a foot tall. (One parent tree looks like a bloodgood, the other has a very slight greenish tint but is very similar. I have 3 really red seedlings and one on the greenish side.) I think eventually with these I'll have trees with the cool trunk pattern I love, and in locations where I'll appreciate it more.
    Thanks again for your help. I'll be posting soon looking for advice on planting the four new little trees to give them the best chance.

Kate

• mmajicmann
    11 years ago

'The tree that we bought was the single trunk one, but I kept obsessing about the other one...' we've all been there lol. i've learned that whatever tipped the scales to make me choose A when it was right next to B... is good enough for me.