Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is she a dead stick?

Posted by fenix 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 22:18

I purchased the 4 foot Bloodgood Maple Tree in early April. It was purchased mail order so it arrived fully leafed out, looking beautiful. Because of the unexpected cold snap in early April, I couldnt plant it right away. I had it in the house for a couple of days and because of the dry air in the house (at least that is what I was told) the leaves shriveled, died and fell off. I planted it a couple of weeks later, expecting the buds and leaves to come back. Most of the small braches all died. A few small leaves have appeared on the trunk of the tree, but are shriveled and do not look good. Right now I basically have a 3 1/2 foot stick (the top 6 inches also died). Im hesitant to simply discard the thing as it is still nice and green underneath the bark on the trunk (when I conduct the ol' fingernail scratch test). Suggestions?

P.S. The company I ordered it from did remedy the situation and sent me a new, albeit smaller tree. But again, Im not sure this thing is completely dead, and if it isnt I hate to get rid of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is she a dead stick?

No harm in waiting ...I woundn't get your hopes up ...the scratch test only tells you it is alive but not by how much ...I have found you never really know from that ...it could releaf but you could do the same test next week and find NO green if there is any black areas on the trunk it's likely toast... as i said it doesn't hurt to wait a few weeks David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here