Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to plant japanese maple??

Posted by mmgrow 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 22:46

I live in pensacola,florida(the gulf coast)zone 8. I wanted to to purchase a red japanese maple to plant near a window for a nice view. The area gets no sun until about 1:00 and then straight afternoon sun. I was told that japanese maples don't like too much sun (it turns the leaves brown). would that area still qualify as "too much sun?" Please keep in mind that pensacola is NOT the midwest-our afternoon sun is pretty intense and many plants that may thrive in full sun in other parts of the country wouldn't stand a chance here. I really want to plant the tree in that spot, but not if it means throwing away a $150.00 mothers day gift! thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to plant japanese maple??

Given the situation, I wouldn't. Morning sun with afternoon shade is a much more suitable situation.

o

Ya... I was afraid of that answer. Okay- I'll sacrifice my view for a "living" tree!LOL

o

Dont give up and I hope you get this. I live in Auburn and my parents live in Chipley Florida. They have a 7 year old Crimson Queen in similiar environ that does not even leaf scorch in late summer (10 foot by 10 foot). Garnet is another disectum that may also do well as it likes full sun for a period to really be and stay red (also 10 feet by 10 feet). That is a laceleaf cultivar. 2 others come to mind that do well in full sun and therefore may be good candidates and the include Emporer I (25 feet at full maturity) and Shaina (compact dwarf to 9 feet at full maturity). Either way, I would not plant anything less than 3-4 years old in that spot and in that first year I would try to make sure it does not get too stressed from drought or even over-fertilizing (nitrogen). I hope you get this and good luck.
Justin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here