Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can JM survive full shade?

Posted by laopi 6a (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 22:50

Hi,

I had a almost full shade on north of my house, I'd like to plant a JM, can it survive?

peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can JM survive full shade?

I have a full moon maple in full shade. It seems to like it

o

I'd like a better explanation of what is considered "almost full shade". Generally, full shade is created by something overhead that fully blocks the sun - a dense tree canopy, an overhead structure, etc. The north side of a house typically does not get too much direct sunlight but it is usually a bright, indirect light condition. And if your home is painted a light color, there is often a lot of reflected light as well.

Many plants in full shade can suffer, not just because of the lack of light but also because whatever is causing the lack of light prevents rainfall from penetrating well also. But I suspect you do not have these very limiting conditions and many maples will thrive in lower light areas. Those with highly variegated foliage and reticulated (heavily veined) or very pale colored foliage - like the Golden fullmoon maple - will do very well in these conditions. Redleafed maples typically do not retain very good color if in too much shade. They need some sun for that color to develop well.

o

All japanese maples like some sun but never complete shade or full sun including afternoon sun. The fullmoon maple will do well here and some of the japonica species as well.

o

Full shade is a relative term. If you mean underneath overstory trees with minimal filtered sun, then it's OK. If you mean under a roof where it gets almost no light, then it's not a good situation. Maples actually do quite fine with very limited sun, but total shade is impossible.

I have many maples that get zero minutes of direct sun and they flourish. Some cultivars may have less(or more) color/varigation, so keep that in mind.

o

I apologize for my lack of precision. My yard actually faces south but there is a wooded hill rising behind it, so very little sun falls on my yard. I do have a very small full moon maple that has done well in total shade. The one that is about 6' tall gets some sun during the late spring - early fall days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here