Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do?

Posted by debbiel 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 23:13

My Japanese Maple took a hit with the last big freeze, the bottom third is all leafed out but not the top, I'm thinking the top is dead, would it look too wierd to just cut back the tree to the living part? What do you think the tree would do....I'm just heartbroken it was such a pretty tree about 10 years old and 7 ft tall. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do?

First of all what type of JM is it ...if you don't know the specific cultivar is it upright or weepng... broad leaf or dissected ..Also is it grafted ...look for a bump on the trunk or a differnt color at the base up a foot or so then changes lot of time growers don't match often the base is bright green and as you go up the trunk red but obviously it could go any direction red or green .If it is grafted is the leafing above or below the graft...One way to tell is if the leaf is exactly the same there now as the original dead top tree was ...but that is sometimes difficult unless dissectum or unusual leaf was on the top part and it is now noticably differnt .. If you can answer at least some of these questions we can help you better. David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here