Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Dwarf Maple ID

poaky1
12 years ago

I was wondering if anyone could ID a Dwarf Maple, but I can't take a digital picture. Can I send a leaf and get a reply? I know it sounds silly but it's either that or I take a regular picture and send to someone. The tree is about 25 feet tall, seeds in early May, seems sterile, never had one sprout in 30+ years, so it must be. Trunk girth about 24 inches. No fall color at all. Trunk smooth and dark grey with a slight roughness to the bark on lower trunk, upper trunk bark is not rough, but not quite as smooth and light as Beech bark.If nobody has a good idea, can I send leaves or reg pics? Thanks for any help, or info.

Comments (20)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Go ahead and send me the leaves along with some branch pieces in a bubble mailer.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent you a email because I never kept your address and need you to tell me again. Thanks

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I have a spam filter that stores emails and delivers them once-weekly. I'll letcha know when the email arrives.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I'll check back.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Poaky, I just accidentally deleted that email before I had a chance to read it.

Send me an email to:
    all one word & all lower caps

conifer collec tor @ hot mail . com

Dax

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Poaky, you get my email? Today (another person) is asking for my home address? Two people.......

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I never got an email, so I sent one again, forgetting that you wouldn't get it until the next week again. Sorry for any screw-up, if you got my email today, send me one back when you get a chance with your address, where I can send the dwarf maple parts, for you to try to give me a ID. The return email should be the same on both my emails to you.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Poaky, send again to hotmail. put the name of the the oak seed I sent in the email or title.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sent you another email, Monday 11:22 5/30/11

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got your Email and will ship out the maple parts Monday this coming week. Thanks again! It will say Julie from Pa on the envelope.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Very well.

Dax

• gardener365
    12 years ago

It seems to be Acer pseudoplatanus.

That was a tougher one for me. There's a link below.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Thread

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Yep, concur A.pseudoplatanus.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the ID, I have heard of sycamore maple before. So even though it has seeds, I wonder why we've never had babies popping up, I have a shade plant bed under it. I always thought of sycamore maple as the opne in the bible or California sycamore, but never did an indepth web search or any real info gathering on it. This tree is done growing I would say, and only 20-25 ft tall at 30+ years old, is it going to live much longer, or is it going to start declining now that it's mature? I park my car under this tree, and love the shade, but should I plant something near it now to take over the shade tree job once it's gone or does it have many more years left as long as it's health stays good, barring unforeseen accidents, lightening etc. It has woodpecker holes and a large pruning cut to callus over, but otherwise good all round.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Hi poaky,

Let it go. Plant another tree when you need to.

I appreciate the seeds ~actually.

Regards,

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After a yahoo search of Acer Pseudoplatanus it showed a tree in Scotland that is as big as an oak and super old (referrrences Mary Queen of Scots and this tree) our tree has different under-bark than the orange color mentioned. The Darnley sycamore is the Acer Pseudoplatanus that is huge, it's on Wikipedia. Sorry if I overlooked anything, but it seems our tree is similar but smaller. I wish it was gonna get as big as the Darnley sycamore! Unless the Wikipedia put an actual Sycamore on the Acer Pseudoplatanus page (?)

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is Acer Glabra a possibility? Ours has no fall color, not sure about A. Glabra

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Never. sycamore.

I meant to tell you that the sample you sent was full of leafhoppers.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will check out the leafhoppers on the web. Like what they are and any damage they do. They must be just a nuisance thing, all plants look okay here still. Again, thanks for your time and effort with the ID.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dax, I wanted to know if you got any of the seeds to germinate? The tree still has the seed pods on it and they are green except for the ends, the seed part is green.