Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watchmefly

Possible Virticillium Wilt in Japanese Maple

watchmefly
12 years ago

My head is spinning at the moment and I could really use some advice on this.

I have an Acer Palmatum (it is supposed to be a Pine Bark Maple, but I suspect it was mislabeled.) It has been a very vigorous healthy tree and is maybe about 7 years old. This spring it has been leafing out and looked healthy, except two entire large branches did not leaf at all. I scraped the bark of these branches in various spots and it some spots there was green in others dead brown, scattered all around the large areas. One of the main branches (about 2.5" diameter) had some darkness on the outside which concerned me anyway. So I felt I should get to work removing these two main branches of the tree as it seemed some sort of dieback disease was actively happening.

Today I removed the two branches. Both have dark semi circles within the cambium to varying degrees and patterns throughout. And on closer inspection I could see that in some places the outsides of the bark were very dark almost black, especially at places where the trunk or limbs branch.

I cut the two branches back to the main trunk but even at that point I can still see a thin circle of dark within the wood rings. (So I can see I have not cut all the way back to healthy tissue.)

I feared virticillium wilt, googled, and immediately all the pictures I see are what I am seeing in my tree. (What I don't see in my tree is any wilt, just about three totally healthy looking branches with leaves and two completely dead looking branches with no leaves.

I am crushed. I know this is a serious disease and know a fair amount about it. What I need help with is what to do next and what the future may hold.

I cut out various samples of the wood and took a soil sample and I have those ready if I need to send them to be tested. Even if it is this obvious that it is Virticillium Wilt (I think?), should I get it tested? I figure it is such a serious disease with such long term implications that I need to have it confirmed? (I have the info on testing.)

As far as I understood I will now need to remove the entire tree and as much root as I can and then can only plant certain species there basically from now on. And I have that list.

If it is going to die over a few years I would rather get a replacement in so it can get established rather than watch this tree die a long slow sad death.

But in googling I am reading about "treatment" of it, and healthy trees being able to withstand it and trees compartmentalizing it. Some things say a healthy maple won't get it and will only get it if stressed (?) But you know how the web is, I am really just finding too much information. I thought this was basically a death sentence for the tree and for and future maples or other susceptible species planted in that soil. And alot of the info I am finding does say that. And yet here is this other information. Which is true?

Assuming that it does mean no susceptible trees can grow in the infected soil, I would like to know how far does this spread in the soil? Can I assume my whole property has it? or just as far as the roots of this tree reached? Or...?

Which leads me to my next dread, I have a beautiful Acer Palmatum "Fireglow" only about 6 or 7 feet away from the diseased tree. I took a sample from it and it's soil and have that prepared to send if necessary. If the first tree has Virt. Wilt is the second tree done for as well?

I had plans to plant another Acer Palmatum about 40' away, and in fact was hoping to have many more on my property. (I have 2 Paperbark Maples Acer Griseum in the front as well.) It's a 50' x 100' lot.

So my main questions are:

1) Should I send a sample to be verified?

2) Should I send a sample of the second tree 6' away

3) The tree is going to have to come out, right? What's the deal with these things that say it can be managed?

4) Or do I leave it and take a "wait and see" approach?

5) If it is Virticillium Wilt how much of my property can I figure is effected?

Sorry this is so lengthy but I hope the details are helpful. And frankly I partly just needed to share this. Like I said I am just crushed to have found this out today. I planted this tree and the fireglow years ago and am so sad to think they may die.

Thanks for any advice and hand-holding anyone might have.

Comment (1)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Verticillium wilt is very present in PNW soils......it is a pretty common problem and seems to affect Japanese maples more so than most other species.

To answer your questions.....you can have it tested and confirmed if you wish but it is not absolutely necessary if you are feeling relatively secure in your diagnosis.

The second tree may not be infected. VW is an opportunistic pathogen and typically infects trees that are stressed or damaged for some reason. It is quite possible to have a second JM or other susceptible species close by that is untouched and often will remain so.

Species that are not as prone to VW as Japanese maples and older, very well-established trees can often survive the disease long term with only partial dieback, provided proper care is given. I have yet to see a JM infected with VW in our area survive very long, so forget the 'management" approach. It just doesn't work with a Japanese maple :-)

Typically, VW is extremely fast acting with Japanese maples, with the entire tree dying in a matter of days. It will not hurt at this point to take a wait and see approach with the affected tree - significant dieback that is present in spring (by failure to leaf out) may or may not indicate imminent death. Usually, VW and the very rapid decline shows up in mid to late summer, but with the extremes our weather has demonstrated over the past couple of years, these early season signs of the disease are becoming more prevalent.

If the disease is confirmed, the tree should be removed, but I'd be extremely careful about root removal. If there is any chance the roots of the problem tree have intermingled with the nearby healthy (so far) tree, leave them alone and in place.

Again, VW is present in most NW soils so it is very likely the pathogen is throughout your garden. But it is typically present in an inactive or dormant state unless stimulated into activity by root damage, mechanical damage or excessive stress. If planted carefully, given proper care and good garden sanitation adhered to, there is no certainty any other susceptible tree or shrub on your property will contract the disease.

In my old garden, I lost two trees to VW, one in the front and one in the backyard. Since they were never present in the garden during the same time period, there was no chance one could have infected the other. VW susceptible species were planted close to both but were never infected either. But I never disturbed the root systems - the one in front (a JM) I cut down and the young western redbud in back I just left in place as a vine support until it finally rotted away.

It is disturbing to lose a valuable and well-loved tree to this disease. But it did not discourage me from adding additional VW susceptible plants to my garden, however any new Japanese maples I did confine to containers to reduce any further possibility of problems. That became the start of a rather large collection of containered JM's, which I was able to take with me when I moved. Wouldn't have been able to do that had they been planted in the ground, so there's a bit of a silver lining in any dark cloud :-)