Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fringe Leaf Japanese Maple

Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 23:35

Hello Im new to this Maple forum,I've been on the palm forum for a while now.I have some questions about my maple tree, I have what I was told is a fringe leaf maple,it's about 8ft tall now.My sister gave it to me 15 yrs ago,at the time it was only about 2ft tall.It's very slow growing,but a very beautiful tree.My question is this is the first year it has produced seeds.How do you know when to pick the seeds off the tree,and do you have to scrape the seeds so they can soak up water?What is the best way to germinate the seeds?Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fringe Leaf Japanese Maple

By "fringe leaf" I assume you mean what is usually referred to as a dissectum. These have feathery, deeply divided leaf lobes.

Japanese Maple seed should be collected in the fall when the "wings" start to turn brown. Soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours, then place them inbetween damp (not wet) paper towels and store in a zip lock bag in the fridge. Each month change out the paper towels to prevent mold. The seeds must be refrigerated for 4 months (this is called "stratification". Then you will start to see little white roots pushing their way out of the seed casing. It looks like a little white finger sticking out. At this stage remove them from the fridge and pot them up 1/4" deep in fine potting soil. Keep them moist, but not wet, in a shady spot outside. It will take 2 to 3 years for the plants to become big enough to really tell what they will look like as adult plants. Do not expect them to look just like the parent plant. Dissectums often yield seedlings that have no dissection in the leaves at all. But its really fun to do this, so enjoy and good luck!

o
RE: Fringe Leaf Japanese Maple

• Posted by butiaman 7b Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Mon, May 10, 10 at 9:18

Thanks,I was told that's what it was called,a fringe leaf.The leafs look like the one at the top of this forum.That's what I do with my Blood Good maple seeds,some always start to germinate before I take them out of the zip lock bag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here