Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Weeping Japanese maple

Posted by atableforfive New Jersey (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 23:43

I would like to buy a dwarf weeping Japanese maple for my husband for our anniversary. He loves the mounded forms with spreading branches but we have a mature garden and not as much space as i would like. Can anyone recommend a cultivar that has curving branches that is a dwarf species? Preferably red?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Weeping Japanese maple

I'd look into a Red Dragon or Inaba Shidare.

o

Not sure there is a dwarf dissectum currently available,I think they will all eventually become wide...though we don't live forever :) I think your best bet is to choose a slow growing cultivar.My personal favourite red dissectum is 'Red Filigree Lace'.Gives the appearance of a dissectum in miniature as the leaves are quite small and finely dissected.Mine do seem quite vigorous in proportion to the leaf size,but I guess in feet&inches it is slower taking up room than norm.As mentioned earlier,I've believe 'Red Dragon' is considered a bit slower growing also.

o

The term 'dwarf' is typically applied as a factor of height, not width. And while most weeping disectums are considered to be dwarf in terms of mature height (depending on graft position and staking), pretty much all of them can get wide in time.

But there are quite a few dwarf cultivars that while not weeping or mounding exactly do offer a small and often sculptural appearance. I'd look at 'Beni Ubu Gohan', 'Fireball' or 'Kurenai Jishi' for red leafed varieties and 'Mikawa Yatsubua' or 'Hupps Dwarf' for green leafed cultivars. These are not the most commonplace of JM's so locating a specialty nursery locally or ordering online may be your best bet.

o

You might try 'Ryusen'. It's weeping though not red.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here