Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jiro shidare leaves turning yellow and dropping

Posted by KJMM none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 0:16

I have a jiro shidare that I planted about 3 weeks ago that was doing fine until I noticed it was dropping several handfuls of leaves today. Some have spots so I was worried it may be phyllosticta but it also could be scorch. I louped the leaves and did not find any fruiting bodies. Looks like the yellowing starts in the veins then spreads. It's on young and old leaves.

I have a cherry tree that did this on a Lower branch. I removed all of the yellow leaves. The cherry tree is accros the yard from the jiro shidare. I don't know if the events are related but I hsve attached pics for review.

We are not in a heatwave and I have not done anything different lately. Two other maples, a Jordan and red dragon are right next to it and are not showing symptoms. they are in full sun. Neither jordan nor red dragon are experiencing leaf scorch.

Yellow dropping interior leaves happened to my mikawa yatsubusa, it was suggested i over watered so I backed off on watering and it recovered. This is different because its not just the interior leaves and there are some spots on some leaves.

What do you think is going on with my jiro shidare???? Over watering of disease or something else????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jiro shidare leaves turning yellow and dropping

• Posted by KJMM none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 0:19

Cherry leaves. Related events???

o

Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 0:21

More jiro shidare leaves

o

Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 0:25

The tree today (top down view)

o

If only planted 3 weeks ago, I'd guess transplant shock would account for 99% of your problem. This is NOT an ideal time of year to be planting new trees, especially somewhat delicate JM's. Adequate water and time is the only solution.

And cherry problems have nothing to do with the maple. Where are you located?

o

Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 22:48

I am in rancho santa margarita, ca zone 9

o

"If only planted 3 weeks ago, I'd guess transplant shock would account for 99% of your problem."

I would agree.
Don't try and complicate a simple problem- the most likely cause is usually the cause :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here