Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peeling Bark on Maples

Posted by nishamhran z8OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 0:37

The bark is peeling off my larger maples about 2 -6 inches above the soil level. All maples were 5 gallon size planted in the last 6 months to 1 year. On two trees, bark is peeling in neat strips above or below the graft. On the other trees, bark is peeling from what seems to be scratch or gnaw marks on the trunk. Is this the work of squirrels, neighborhood cats, or something else? Could dry soil be responsible for peeling bark?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peeling Bark on Maples

Shredding of bark on maples (Japanese in particular) in spring in the PNW is often attributed to squirrels - unfortunately, a very common problem here. They strip the very thin and tender bark for nesting material. Wrapping loosely with chicken wire is a good deterrent or you could try the tree wrap product that you coat with something like Tanglefoot. This tends to be a very seasonal problem, so either way, it is something you could remove later in the season.

o

Thanks gardengal. In desperation last night, I cut up small pieces of bubble wrap and very loosely wrapped that around the affected areas figuring the squirrels would "buzz off" when they heard the bubbles burst. Do you think it's ok to leave the bubblewrap in place, or might it encourage fungal growth?

o

Bubble wrap or anything else that is impervious to moisture and impedes air flow would not be my first choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here