Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red dragon and ayogai-- plant anything between them?

Posted by vicster (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 1:03

We have an ayogai (the green bark equivalent of the coral bark) and a red dragon next to each other in the south-facing front yard on the east side. The plants get morning shade and then afternoon sun. There's ground cover on either side (Santa Barbara daisies) but the ground cover that was between the plants died off and there's just bare dirt now. Should we plant anything in between? Looks kind of funny the way it is now. I was thinking of putting a beach ball size stone in between but my husband thinks that will look silly. Any thoughts? We live in the south SF Bay Area near Stanford University if that makes a difference on plant recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red dragon and ayogai-- plant anything between them?

Rocks need to be grouped. I've posted some pics from my garden. I live in TN, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Garden Pics

Regards,

K4

o
RE: red dragon and ayogai-- plant anything between them?

Yeah, a rock or one of them sculpture balls. A rock would be cheaper. What the ball has going for it is you can choose the color. You've got red leaves and green/yellow leaves on these 2 cultivars if my memory is correct...so, a blue ball or whatever color you like.
If you want some plant show between the trees, try some bulbs that like sun in winter and shade in summer like your scilla peruvianus or similar bulbs. Very easy and showy in Spring while your maples leaf out. Not much in Summer though.
Hellebores grow good in the Bay Area; small carex ornamental grasses might look good; just a few ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here