Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disease on my maples branches

Posted by sketch804 virginia (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 2:23

Well I need an ID on this disease my maple has right now. Everything was going and growing fine until last week or two when it seems half of my 6+ yr old maple died off. The branches were turning black and the leaf decayed from the inside out. I cut off the infected areas, threw them far away, as instructed to do by my friend because his mom knows what this disease is. She told him and I that we should be very careful with it, but unfortunately she has passed, so I lost the ID.

Any ideas? I know this one but I cannot for the life of me remember the name and treatment methods.

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disease on my maples branches

Really need to see photos to correctly diagnose disease issues. Rapid branch dieback is often attributed to verticillium wilt but leaves decaying "from the inside out" doesn't really fit nor does the branches blackening.....at least that rapidly.

Post photos of the tree with as much of a close up of the affected area/plant tissue as you can manage and we'll do our best. If it IS VW, there is nothing you can do.

o

well the best I can do is this one picture I have of it. yes I believe I looked that disease up because it was the only one I could think of that had the blackening of the stems, but I am not sure if that is it or not.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5337/7410861688_4584f6e2ef_c.jpg

o

Hard to tell from that photo but the problem looks much more like Pseudomonas than anything else. Lots of info online on how to control. Generally, spraying is restricted to the dormant season and removal of affected branches/stems is the usual method. Make sure you are sterilizing your pruners between cuts and don't prune during wet weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here