Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traceyny

Need a Zone 4 JM for Father's Day Help!

traceyny
16 years ago

Hi,

I need a JM that will survive a zone 4 winter. It is for Warrensburg, NY 12885 (my father). They have abundant snowcover, but also have late frosts. I know that a weeping sweet pea is surviving in their yard, as well as a red twig dogwood, if that helps.

He covets a red, dwarf, weeping or mounding JM. Is there one out there that fits the bill? If so, do you recommend any particular winter protection.

Thanks so much,

Tracey

Comments (6)

• staceybeth
    16 years ago

The only ones that I can think of that may do well in that zone would be a Van Den Akker or a Red Maple (acer rubrum)(red sunset)

• basic
    16 years ago

Zone 4 climate + Acer palmatum = Heartbreak

Many have tried; most have failed. The two hardiest JM's I know of are Emperor I and Robinson's Red. Hopefully Mike from Minnesota will check in and give us an update on his Robinson's Red. There's also a nursery up in Duluth that has been growing Emperor I for several years in a protected site. Its now about 6' tall and was doing well the last time I was up there (last summer). It can be done, but I wouldn't get too attached to it. Good luck--he'll need it!

• picea
    16 years ago

In zone 4 your best bet would be to grow in a pot and move it to a garage or basement for the winter. David

• basic
    16 years ago

You could substitute the hardier A. japonicum for A. palmatum. I've got one planted on east side of house and have had no winter die back. However, its only been through two winters and this is hardly enough time to declare it fully z4 hardy. Its generally listed as a z5 plant. There are several nice cultivars, including 'Aconitifolium', which has great fall color and monkshood-like leaves. It supposedly tops out at 8'-10' tall. I thought I was buying this one, but it was mislabeled and I've got what I think is 'Meigetsu'. You'd still want to find a protected site for it.

Another option would be A. pseudosieboldianum (Korean or Purplebloom Maple). It has palmate leaves like Japanese Maple, but is hardy through z4(maybe z3). The fall color can be spectacular. I've got a single stem tree that is now about 10' tall and doing superb.

Bob

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Both David's and Bobs suggestions are good ones ..I would say and I think Bob would agree David's is the safest and would offer a virtually unlimited selection of varias cultivars. I personally , after this spring have started doing 90% of mine in containers ...In zone 4 almost every winter Can ( although of late it has not as I understand it )be like this last spring for us..So if you really want to put them in the ground and like those cultivars which are nice but limited...go Bob's way otherwise it might be wiser to go David's ..;>) David ( M )

• picea
    16 years ago

One other option is Acer Japonicum 'Green Cascade' I have it and it is my favorite Dissectum type. I has green leaves that have great fall color. The only issue I noticed with it was that it pushed earlier than most of my Palmatums and definately earlier than my Shirashawanums and Sieboldianum.

If you are considering pot culture two nice japanese maple would be 'Filigree' and 'Red Filigree Lace'. Both are weeping types but grow slower than some other selections.
    David

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz