Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese maple

Posted by pedro18 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 7:07

i have a small red japanese maple (about 2ft high) the ends of the leaves are turning brown,can anyone tell me what is the cause and tretment/prevention. it is in a large pot in shady part of garden
thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese maple

Is it getting enough water? Too much sun? Depending on where you are and your zone the leaves just turn brown on the tips.

I've been growing maples for about three years now and the leaves burn up then are replaced by the second set of leaves every year so far.

o

Leaf tip burn is common and can be caused by several reasons ...since you say it's in the shady part of the garden we will rule out sun but alot depends on where ya live that could still play a part but I doubt it depending on what you mean by "shady"... Most likely too much water or fertilizer or both ..This problem tends to be more cosmetic than symptamatic of disease .. but overwatering can cause root rot and other problems that are more serious . Keep an eye on it DO NOT further fertilize and water only when dry ...if leafs completly crisp pull them off and as NO said it should put on new ones. I personally think humidity plays a part in all of this but have no proof to back me up and no study on humidity and it's effects on JM's is available to my knowledge but I am very suspicious it has an effect on leaf burn problems in general mostly since it seems it is worse in the more humid areas but then you do not say where ya live..David

o

hi myerphcf
Thank you for your reply,i live in south yorkshire
i try to keep the peat moist and the only fertilizer i have used was in the peat i potted the maple in.
thanks
pedro

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here