Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer Shirasawanum 'Red dawn'

Posted by jerry22m z9FL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 7:20

Have been told this maple may be grown equally well in either full sun or shade. Any experience with this statement. Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer Shirasawanum 'Red dawn'

Depends on where you are and the climate. "full sun" in Florida is not the same as "full sun" in Seattle, for example. The suns rays are much stronger and more direct in Florida. I would NOT put it in full sun.

o

I agree w K4. I have grown this plant in full sun and in shade in PA. It has down well for me in both sites. I think full FL sun would be a stretch. I do think it could take a few hours a day in FL with good culture;

It is a very handsome, sturdy looking tree. Not especially red most of the time.

o

herman, care to send me some cuttings and I'll split 50/50 with you or trade for others I'm rooting? Send an email to conifercollector@hotmail.com

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here