Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering New Maples

Posted by andersog NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 7:21

Just got through 4 days of extreme heat here in NY, and I"m concerned about my 3 maples (sugar, red, crimson king) which were just planted 10 days ago. I was told to water 1-2 times per week, but I thought I should start doing it every other day as the leaves on the sugar maple are already starting to turn brown on the edges. Is there any problem in watering this frequently?

When I water, do I just need to fill up the 'bowl' that was made with the mulch, or do I need to have the water run for an extended period of time to truly have it settle in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering New Maples

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 17:12

Sounds like your tree(s) is being damaged by your being steered into trying to follow a rote schedule that does not allow for variables in weather, site conditions and what state the plants are in on arrival. They may have been getting too dry before you even got them, and needed to be given several good soakings to try and re-wet the original field- or potting soil rootballs. Poke around in the dirt right around them to see if it is moist all the way through or in fact partly dry. Once determined to be moist or made moist all the way through, water as often and heavily as is needed to maintain this condition. Keep periodically digging into the soil if you have to in order to keep on top of things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting fact sheet.pdf (application/pdf Object)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here