Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple - Turned Brown

Posted by michellebays Georgia (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 8:38

I have a Japanese Maple that is in a container. It seemed to be doing fine (leaves were green) until yesterday when I looked at it. About two weeks ago I moved it from one side of my patio to the other. It would definitely get more sun in the new side. All of the leaves turned brown and dry. I saw in other postings to the forum that this may likely be because it got too much sun. Is there a way for me to revive my tree? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple - Turned Brown

Is the pot black? Black pots tend to heat the roots too much. A container in a container could help with mulch, etc packed between them and moving back into the shade will help. Now is not the time to repot or fertilize it or could cause further stress. Keep it watered and in a few weeks the leaves will probably drop but should recover either later this summer or next spring.

o

It's not in a black pot...it's a plastic fake red ceramic looking pot. Since it's in a container do you recommend taking it inside?

o

No need to take it inside, just into more shade. A little morning sun at most.

o

How do the stems look? If they are still firm and alive looking when you move it into more shade as mattnova mentioned, they might resprout. At any rate, I have had that happen and as long as the stems/buds look healthy, they sprouted back out enough that by the next year, the tree looked fine.
Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here