Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diginthedirt17

Should we move the new Silver Maple from our yard? pic

diginthedirt17
16 years ago

Hello,

I've recently discovered that our Silver Maple, planted approx. 2-3 years, has gall mites. I understand this is primarily cosmetic, but after researching a bit it seems that the Silver Maple itself was not a very good idea to plant in our backyard. It's approx. 15 feet from the house.

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'd appreciate your advice first - should we remove this tree from the backyard? It seems this tree is better suited in an open field. I had considered moving it to the parkway, but that doesn't even seem smart given it's shallow roots.

We also have a Norway planted in the back, but it doesn't seem to pose as much as a problem as the Silver Maple.

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (8)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Your instincts are correct your choice of instument of distruction for this basically troublesome tree is left to you..I wouldn't offer it a blindfold ;>) David

• botann
    16 years ago

I see you have young kids. They could use a little shade this summer. I'd leave it for a few years and cut it down later when you can forsee problems. It already has a narrow crotch that will split out when it snows or ices up heavy in a few years.
    I see, also, you have a string trimmer. They kill more trees than the loggers.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Botann's point is well taken it does supply good fast shade but in my experience they NEVER get taken down once they get bigger until the storms lay it on your house large branches in your yard and an ugly possibly mishapen tree.Folks always plan to but by the time they get around to it the tree is 40-50 feet tall and not easily removed.The Silver maple in our area can grow 10-15 feet pr. year up and out( mine do) without much problem a tree your size will be probabably 20 ft tall maybe taller and probably 15-20 ft. wide in two more years if your soil is half as good as mine... Remember the larger the tree the more it will cost to have taken out especially one that close to your abode. Of course this is your decision David

• diginthedirt17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the advice. I'd like to replace the tree so maybe I'll wait until fall (better for planting, right?). My next question is probably better suited for the Trees forum, but what would you suggest I replace it with? We have a Heritage Riverbirch in the front yard that is gorgeous - do you have an opinion on that tree? On the other hand, I'm considering a Crusader Hawthorn - not a shade tree, but might be more appropriate in my suburban backyard.

Thanks for your help.

• jimkw
    16 years ago

I think you are way better off digging it up instead of cutting down. Those roots can continue to grow after the tree is cut down. At least that's what I've been told. That close to the house, I would go with a smaller tree (one that does not grow huge), but one that does provide shade. Or go a further out in the yard with a Red Maple.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

That is correct Jim ...in my angst about those cruddy trees my thoughts went to a chain saw ;>)...Yes they will come back up sometimes...but digging out may be a problem it would be a BIG job even now...If you are careful you can fence it off and Round-Up the cut trunk with a brush ( fence off during and for a few days after since you have kids around) ...that should do the trick...it won't come back...David

• jimkw
    16 years ago

It's only been in the ground for 2-3 years. I would get it out of the ground one way or another. If digging didn't work I would tie a strap or chain around it and pull it out with either my JD garden tractor, one of my Volvo's and lastly my daughters 4WD 4Runner. I'm thinking the tractor would probably do the job though since it's only been in the ground for that short of time. Might have to dig around it a little before pulling though. Then again I like doing stuff like that, as I make the sound that Tim The Tool Man used to make when he looked for more power.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Shantung maple would be a great replacement tree. It grows to be 20-35x20-35 depending on soil,climate,etc. Grows fairly fast as well.

If you want a bigger tree, I suppose shumard red oak would be nice. Sugar maple isn't so bad either!

PLEASE PUT A MULCH AROUND YOUNG TREES! It should be at least 5 feet across for 5 years. That's when they grow much more rapidly than without mulch and grass robbing all the nutrients significantly slowing down the growth of trees. Look at the forest floor...