Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paper Bark Maple problem

Posted by rshaffer Northern Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 9:14

We planted a paper bark maple last June for Father's Day. It was full of beautiful leaves when we planted it. However, this year the leaves are sparse, and a few branches appear to be dead. The leaves we do have are on the ends of the branches.

This is my favorite tree, and I'm not sure what to do for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paper Bark Maple problem

I think all it needs is time. If you are like most of the rest of the country, you experienced a rather brutal winter and that can be hard on newly planted or yet-to-be-established trees. Just give it the care it needs (pretty much just watering as necessary) and be patient. Although I don't know what passes as "normal" weather any more, with a more typical winter and time, your tree should be fine.

Some die back is normal with any Asian maple and that can be removed whenever it becomes apparent.

o

I agree. Winter was the problem. Time is the solution.

Linda

o

Thank you for the reassurance. I dearly love this tree, as it was planted in memory of my father. I will try my best to be patient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here