Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mccallumjoe

how much sun for A. Japonicum Aconitifolium?

Spacehog
11 years ago

I'll apologize for my ignorance with regard to gardening terms. I am still brand new to gardening and I have found certain aspects confusing. For example, I have read things about a new tree that I just bought that say it should have "partial shade" to "light shade" I guess I don't really understand what (if any) difference there is between partial shade and light shade.

To be more specific, I have a spot that I'd like to use that gets direct sunlight from about 10:45am till about 1:45pm. Well, that's how much it gets right now at least. I'm not sure if it will receive less light as we get farther away from summer solstice. The rest of the time, this spot gets shade though. I am wondering if direct sun for 3 hours qualifies as either "partial shade" or "light shade". Also, I am curious as to what will happen if I give the tree too much shade. I have been reading that the main risk of too much sun for most JMs is leaf scorch. It seems like the risk of too much shade is that the tree will be less colorful. I would really love to see this tree's fall color, so I'm wondering if I should pick a different spot that has more sun. Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

In my area, this tree can grow very happily in full sun. We are pretty far north (lat 47) and summer sun tends not to be as intense as in more southerly locations but I can't imagine this tree not being happy in full sun anywhere, provided it gets sufficient water. Green leaves are green leaves :-)) And yes, you do need some sun to develop good fall color.

Shade definitions ARE tricky!! Full sun is considered to be 6 or more hours......anything less is part sun and/or part shade. Full shade is considered to be with NO direct sunlight and is generally created by tall structures or tall and heavy tree canopies. North side plantings - while often receiving little, if any, direct sunlight - is generally considered something less than "full shade" simply because it receives considerable bright but indirect light. And then there is dappled or filtered shade, where sunlight can appear fleetingly at any time of day through a lacy canopy or open overhead structure.

A bit complicated, huh?

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

The owner of blue river nursery told me his are growing in full sun (8+ hours) in Indiana. I can't attest to any personal experience.

I only had one plant die from full sun exposure...A. palmatum 'Brandt's Dwarf'. Strange one to say the least. Although I asked around and its not the strongest grower.

The rest (in your other post) are all in 8+ hours of sun. A couple cultivars are getting some leaf scorch but should improve as they get established.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    11 years ago

I have one in full sun till about 2 PM and then bright high shade - and doing very well since 1998.
    Marshall

• Spacehog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Indeed it is complicated! Ok, I'll ask for your take on which site to go with then. I have 3 spots that would be pretty good for people being able to see the tree, which I certainly want.

1. I have a site that will get shade first from my neighbor's house and then from my house. But for a 3-4 hour period of time from 10:40am or so till 2pm it will get direct sunlight. For the rest of the day it will have shade though. It seems like a bit too much shade maybe, but what do I know?

2. I have a spot that will get some early morning sun, but by about 8 or 9am the sun is dappled as you say. It stays dappled for quite a while, until it gets full shade around 7pm. So this site has 2-3 hours of direct morning sunlight and then the rest of the day dappled sun. Could be good, but again, what do I know?

3. I do have one more site that gets sun starting at about 2pm. Before that it gets what I would have to call full shade, although it's possible that a very small amount might slip through the seemingly impenetrable hedge. It will have direct sun from 2pm till about 6pm. From 6pm on it will have dappled shade with barely any sun getting through and then just full shade. Since everyone seems to favor morning sun, this site seemed not to fit, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, what do I know?

If any of you have a take on this I would appreciate it. Obviously I'm giving very general descriptions, so I understand that what I am asking is difficult. Seeing it in person would probably be best, but that clearly isn't practical. I do have plenty of sites that have tons of shade, but since I want the fall color, those seem like a poor choice. Well, I've rambled long enough. Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

• rmac78
    11 years ago

Mine gets full sun until about 3 in the afternoon. I wouldn't be surprised if it could handle full sun the rest of the day as well. Zone 5a

Here is a little fall color from my Aconitifolium

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Situation #2 w/o question.

Dax

• Spacehog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent. I really appreciate everyone's advice. I am going to go with site #2 after this terrible heat wave passes (if it passes).

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms