Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
October Glory Maples leaves dying

Posted by kykim 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 10:06

Last Fall we planted Red Sunset Maples and alternated with October Maples, 7 each. The leaves on all the October maples are turning brown curling and look like they are drying up. Plenty of rain, no bugs or fungus can be found.
The Red Maples on each side are doing great so far. The landscapers, nursery are all clueless....Does anyone have ANY suggestions? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: October Glory Maples leaves dying

How about a close up of the leaves?

o

My theory is the October Glories were dug at a different time or have different soil composition so they are not retaining water as well.

Pretty much all I believe you can do is make sure the rootballs are getting moisture. Big transplants BTW. Were they planted at the right heights?

o

Attached a picture of leaves close up for nurseryman33.

toronado3800-never even thought of the different soil type and digging times. Yes, they are right heights.

The University of Kentucky suggested I have "Anthracnose Disease". Too much water. But, this has not effected the Red Sunset Maples.....

THANK YOU for responding. My searches are not finding the problem/solution....

o

Another close up.

o

It does look like anthracnose, but why not on the Red Sunsets? I don't know. Maybe it is a more resistant cultivar.

o

Picture of maples down driveway. Every other October maple is dropping leaves. I'm told not to worry that the leaves will come back and the trees will be fine.....

Thank you nurseryman33 for a second opinion agreeing that this looks like anthracnose. I've never heard of anthracnose, so this is new to me. Seems this would be a difficult disease to diagnose.

o

Nice driveway. If it is anthracnose, you might want to burn those infected leaves that are falling off, because the fungi overwinters on them.

o

Nurseryman33 thank you for the advice, "Burn Leaves!" I will certainly take your advice. Started gathering all the information on anthracnose the do's and don'ts and how to identify and remove. I am still puzzled that this hasn't affected the Red Sunset Maples.....I'll keep all posted and hoping that no one else has to deal with this. I appreciate all the advice!

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 11:35

If they do die, I'd highly recommend planting a more diversified grouping of genus and species. There are ways to do this and still maintain that formality that you are going for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here