Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Japanese Maple Rootings Not Growing

Posted by ladybug80 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 10:13

Hello All,

Around last fall, a friend of mine gave me two Japanese Maple rootings from his JM.

Neither JM has formed any new growth except for a few leaves that one rooting formed in May. These leaves are in the middle of the stem. The other rooting is bare. One rooting is about 6 inches tall, and the other is about 3 or 4 inches.

What do JM rootings need to grow properly? Apparently, I have not been caring for them correctly. I have kept them in a big pot because I wasn't sure if I should plant them yet. At first, I left them alone in the soil they came in for awhile which seemed to be it's native soil. When I saw they weren't growing, I mixed a little bit of dehydrated manure fertilizer and potting mix into the soil hoping that it would help them, but it seems to have harmed them instead of helped.

I've made searches online for how to care for JM rootings, but have not been able to find much information. What should I do to make them healthy again and encourage new growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Japanese Maple Rootings Not Growing

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 3:26

The usual term is cuttings rather than rootings, you should find much more searching with the customary word. With cuttings of deciduous trees and shrubs it is often necessary to follow a comparatively strict procedure in order to get them to both form roots and then grow away again the following spring. If the tips of the rooted cuttings do not have time to flush a new stem growth, form overwintering terminal bud the cuttings may fail to continue growing the following spring - despite having had roots and remained alive up to that point. To overcome this more difficult kinds are taken as early as possible in the growing season, put under mist to keep them from shriveling before the roots form. But if you are getting some new top growth from at least the one cutting this may not be your problem - at least with the one cutting. If it did not form very many roots there may not be enough of a root system yet to support a full top growth. Or there could be some other problem or limitation present, it sounds like it may have died back a bit.

Yes: amending of individual planting holes with organic material when setting out long-term plants like trees and shrubs is counterproductive, due to how it affects movement of water into and out of the amended planting hole.

o
RE: Two Japanese Maple Rootings Not Growing

Somebody from another forum told me the term was rootings. Okay I will use the term cuttings for my research then.

I have two photos, but I am not sure how to attach photos to this forum. How do I attach the photos so that I can show you what these cuttings look like?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here